Part 2 the seaside
Athens is on the rise as a city break destination, and while the trend is driven by the attractions of the city center, there are some suburbs that should be on any traveler’s radar. Those who visit every year know that while areas like Syntagma and Thiseio are great, but Athen’s Riviera is where you get the seaside fun and vibe more associated with the islands.
In this article I propose Glyfada and Alimos, for the the seaside fun that Athens Riviera has to offer.
The neighborhood of Glyfada
poza/ colaj Glyfada
Glyfada – Γλυφάδα, is a suburb in South Athens located in the Athens Riviera. It is situated in the southern parts of the Athens’ Urban Area. It s well known for the vibrant atmosphere, the lively entertainment, the interesting shopping and of course the beach. Two marinas host a number of yachts.
One of the glossiest parts of the Athens Riviera is the neighborhood of Glyfada. Located right on the seafront, and approximately 15 to 30 minutes drive and 45 minute tram ride from the city center, with lovely beaches, big restaurants, and rows of high-end stores, this is where many locals and I dream of moving so that to combine the best of city-living with all that the coast has to offer.
- Taxi – Between 15 and 20 € depending on the exact location, in 20 – 30 minute you arrive at your destination, depending on the traffic conditions.
- Metro – M3 + M2 – Athens airport metro runs every 30 minutes, but only between the hours of 06.30 and 23.30. The ticket are around € 10 – € 13
- Bus– at approximative € 6 – € 8 per person, the Athens airport bus is by far the cheapest option.
- From airport to Glyfada you must take x96 Athens Airport to Piraeus Port bus
- From Glyfada to Athens city center you can take the tram, bus or taxi and the the estimate time is between 15 to 30 minutes.
Where to stay
Blazer Suites Hotel 4*
- Score: 9.1 on Booking.com;
- Score: 4.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor;
- Address: 1 K.Karamanli Avenue, Athens, 16673, Greece;
- Blazer is an all-suites hotel located within a few meters from 2 beaches along the Saronic Gulf and a short walk from Glyfada’s shopping and entertainment area. It offers a swimming pool and a stylish restaurant.
- 1-day cruise – Visit 3 islands in 1 day, Hydra, Poros and Aegina ;
- Sunset at Cape Sounion – Watch one of the most majestic sunsets in Greece with a half-day twilight tour to Cape Sounion;
- Enjoy the termal waters from Vouliagmeni Lake;
- Athens City Center;
What to do/ visit
- Laiki Street Market – it is a street market. Glyfada’s laiki is one of the city’s most popular and well-stocked editions. It is held each Thursday along several blocks on Lazaraki Street.
- Archelon Sea Turtle Rescue Centre
- Saints Constantine and Helen Orthodox Metropolitan Church;
- Church of Agios Nicolaos;
- Summer Sun Sailing;
- The Blender Gallery – a gallery that “blends” all sorts of artistic expressions, events and creative activities. Also, aside from art exhibitions, The Blender Gallery organises live music events once a month.
- Artea Gallery – presents original contemporary and classic art of various techniques,from Greek and foreign artists, both well-known and upper-coming ones. From a realistic seascape, to an impressionistic landscape, to a contemporary abstract woman’s face.
- Seahorse Dive Center – is PADI 5 STAR Instructor Development Center, operating all year round and offers all PADI courses from Discovery Scuba Diving to Go pro, plus Close Circuit Rebreather courses. Scuba diving is our passion.
- Glyfada Golf Club – Konstantinos Karamanlis Golf Course in Glyfada is the only one in Attica
- Glyfada Marina – includes marine space and coastal land area totaling 3 kilometers
Shopping and Fashion
Metaxa Street – runs from Agiou Konstantinou cathedral, opposite the Glyfada Nautical Club. It’s a long, open-air shopping mall of international and Greek fashion chains and shoe shops, serviced by frequent tram stops and fast food outlets.
Where to eat
- Kyprou street – is running parallel to Metaxa street and neatly dissected by sociable Esperidon Square, possesses an upbeat, self-contained energy and glamour. Observe the trendy trattorias, edgy boutiques, beauty bars, buzzy French delis and concept stores.
- Vive Mar Glyfada (Riviera Coast)– A secial fancy restaurant that you will never forgt is Vive Mar also known as Riviera Coast. All-day sizable venue for light Mediterranean dining & drinks with an open-air terrace on the beach.The atmosphere is nice, romantic and elegant. It is a very good choice for a relaxing drink or a light dinner. Address: Leoforos Karamanli Konstantinou 18.
Where to Party
Well known for the vibrant nightlife, Glyfada offers a wide range of bars, clubs to choose from. Prestigious Balux Cafe House Project, Mosaiko Cocktail bar, Bourbon Bar, cosmopolitan Opus Inner Pleasure, original Momix, Holy Spirit, and MIKRO kiss the future, are some of the best places.
Best beach in the area
- Glyfada Beach – Crystal clear waters, amazing view landscape.
- Asteras Beach – Sandy private beach with rental loungers & umbrellas, plus playgrounds, sports courts & bars.
- Voula Beach – Sandy, safe, clean beach, with sun beds available.
Between Glyfada and Alimos
The calculated flying distance from Glyfada to Alimos is equal to 4 miles which is equal to 6 km.
If you want to go by car, the driving distance between Glyfada and Alimos is 7.89 km, so between 10 and 15 minutes you will arive at your destination.
The neighborhood of Alimos
Alimos – Άλιμος is a municipality in South Athens, Greece. It was formed in 1968 comprising two settlements, the suburban seaside town of Kalamaki. Is situated on the Saronic Gulf coast, 8 km south of Athens city centre. The municipality has an area of 5.909 km2.
- By metro: The closest metro station is “Alimos” on line 2
- By bus/trolleybus: Since Alimos is one of the most crowded beaches in Athens, there are many bus stops nearby, one of the bus lines that I usually use is X96
Where to stay
Blu Sea Alymos 4*
- Score: 7.4 on Booking.com;
- Score: 4 out of 5 on TripAdvisor;
- Address: 49 – 53 Themistokleous, Alimos 174 55 Greece
- This 4 * casual hotel is located in Alimos, one of the most beautiful coastal suburbs of Athens. Just 300 meters away from the beach, 200 meters from the commercial center and very close to plenty of upmarket malls, cafes, clubs, restaurants and venues. Next to the modern marinas of Alimos (1km) and Flisvos (3km) but away from the noisy six-lane coastal road, Blue Sea Hotel provides the opportunity to combine unique moments of relaxation and serenity with business.
The optional excursion are basically the same as what you can do from Glyfada, with the mention that we can add 2 more excursions to the list, 1 day trip to Peloponnese and Delphi.
What to do
- Alimos Marina Harbourmaster – 700 m – s a bustling harbour located in Alimos. It has 1000 permanent positions, making it one of the largest marinas in Greece. In addition to entrance lights for safe navigation and electric supply, the marina offers several other amenities like VHF Communication first Aid provisions and security and PIR automatic lights around the Marina. Furthermore, it also has adequate water supply, refueling services, able Car Parking in several places around the Marina and 2 Restaurants-Bars.
- Flisvos Marina – 3.5 km
- Glyfada marina – 5.9 km
- Panagia Mirtidiotissa Church
- Wetpark Akti Tou Hliou – Alimos – Costa del Sol, in Alimos. It is a water park in the sea with various inflatable sea toys which constitute excellent activities for parents and children over 6 years of age. It also provides paddle boats with slides and single or double canoes for endless hours of fun in the water and a ride around the bay of the coast.
- Omega Gaming Center – A unique gaming experience that goes beyond just gaming. The best atmosphere, staff, PCs and peripherals in EU south according to our customers.
- Cine Alimos – It is a cinema in open air, its unique location (on the beach by the sea), high fidelity (high definition digital image and digital sound) and the program (award-winning world cinema films, thematic specials and screenings of the best children’s films) will surely make the Primary Cinema Alimou one of the top summer movie proposals in Athens.
- Ship Museum Averof – is a modified Pisa-class armored cruiser built in Italy for the Royal Hellenic Navy in the first decade of the 20th century. The ship served as the Greek flagship during most of the first half of the century. Although popularly known as a battleship (θωρηκτό) in Greek, it is in fact an armored cruiser, the only ship of this type still in existence. In 1984 the Navy decided to restore her as a museum ship, and in the same year it was towed to Palaio Faliro, where she is anchored as a functioning floating museum, seeking to promote the historical consolidation and upkeep of the Greek naval tradition. Free guided tours are provided to visiting schools and on holidays. It is berthed at Trocadero quay, as part of the Naval Tradition Park.
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center – 3.8 km
- Onassis Cultural Centre – 5.1 km
Where to eat
- O Paris – this is is one of my favorite places to eat when I’m in Alimos, I always say “let’s eat at the rocker” because it has rock influences and music, great atmosphere, delicious food and it is very close to Blue Sea Alimos Hotel. It’s nothing fancy about this place but the atmosphere and the food is so good that it makes you not really care about fanciness. And the prices are very good also.
- O Mpakalis – This is as great as it can get, my second favorite place to eat, I always say “let’s eat at the bottles tonight” I call it like that because they have nay bottles on their windows as a decor. 🙂 Again, great food decent prices.
- Proedros – this taverna is right around the coroner from Blue Sea, the food is good and cheap, it is convenient as is very close to the hotel, but it doesn’t compare with O Paris.
- Penarrubia Lounge – talking about fancy and at an opposite pole from O Paris, Pennarrubia is a little bit on the fancy side, very good food also, situated on the beach and a good place to party.
- Bolivar Beach Bar – Here is a place Where I eat the best salmon burger in a black bun :), good food, great place for lunch and decent prices.
Dink and Party
- Penarrubia beach bar
- Bolivar beach bar
Best beach in the area
From the first days of sumnmer, Alimos beach is overcrowded with beach enthusiasts and especially the locals who live right above the well-organized beach. The beach offers showers and beach umbrellas available and even exciting water sports like jet skiing and windsurfing.
Alimos is also ideal for children as there is a waterside and play area where they have many activities. Other attractions for tourists in and around Alimos beach is the Alimos yachting Marina and several cafes.
- Bolivar Beach Bar-akti Tou Iliou – One of the most popular and happening places in Alimos is the Bolivar Beach Bar. A perfect blend of music, drinks and food, you will have the best day at the beach. With the most ideal beach location, Bolivar Beach Bar has events all year round and you’re sure to catch an artist at his best here.
- Paralia Mpati – Its a beach right next to the city. Swimming is not recommended here.
- Kalamaki Beach – Kalamaki beach is a nice beach destrict with sun beds and pretty good beach restaurant as well.
- Paralia Edem – The water is nice and calm with almost no waves the sand is full of pebbles and rocks.
- Macaw Beach Bar – Idyllic seafront bar serving European food on a sandy beach with sunbeds & a shaded seating area.